The Fall of Archer Park
The platform was too short and too restricted to handle the long mail and mixed trains, blocking rail traffic, signalmen communication issues using hand signals, and the frequency of trains increased with the connection to Mackay. After investigations, whilst visibility issues were rectified with removal of roof sheeting, mail trains were sent to extensions of Stanley St. More Junctions were built at Glenmore and Alton Downs. After business losses in 1955-56 and the relocation of signal cabin into the Station Master’s office, the General Manager proposed to withdraw the Night Officer and Lad Porter leaving minimal staff.
From 28 January 1957, only passenger trains to selected locations came through. It was quiet except for weekend seaside excursions in summer. Now the station was too large than needed for regular business transaction. The Refreshment Rooms were still licensed to operate and trade with most revenue coming from local residents.
After the line closures to Alton Downs in 1955 and Emu Park in 1964, and the St Lawrence station closure in 1968, it left only services to Yeppoon and Mackay. When the line service to Yeppoon closed in 1969, Archer Park was closed as a station on Monday 2 February 1970. On 1 May 1990, Archer Park was handed over from Qld Railway to the Rockhampton City Council, on the understanding that the building would be a Museum. On 21 October 1992, Archer Park was Heritage Listed, becoming one of the best working train museums in Queensland. When the Museum opened in 1999 the Museum was known as the Archer Park Station & Steam Tram Museum but had a name change in approximately 2003 and is still operating under that name.